Fresh and delicious barbecue roasted chickpeas with avocado, cherry tomatoes and cucumber salad drizzled with rich roasted garlic dressing.
I’m not really what you would call, a salad eater. I prefer comforting cooked meals like hot soup or braised meat but sometimes when I stroll around the grocery shops and if I find some nice and fresh quality vegetables I would do a nice big bowl of salad. This chickpea avocado salad is one of the examples.
This is one of those salads that you won’t get sick of. I have eaten this salad two-three days in a row for my weekday’s lunch and I’m still not over it.
The flavour is not at all what you would call boring. It’s not just green leaves and sour dressing on a plate. Not at all.
For starter, this chickpea avocado salad has barbecue spiced marinated chickpeas roasted to the perfect crispiness. Have I told you that I hated chickpeas before but now I am so in love with it? If you love it too you can also have a look at my harissa roasted chickpeas, it’s so yummy!
Then creamy avocado, fresh cherry tomatoes and cucumber come in to the party to complement this salad. There’s also my favourite ingredients – olives which just make everything tastes better. All of these super-star ingredients are brought together in harmony with this addicting zesty and garlicky roasted garlic dressing.
To sum up – it’s crispy. a little spicy. it’s creamy. it’s fresh. it’s healthy. Not to mention it’s also vegan – for those of you who are currently doing vegan this chickpea avocado salad is definitely a recipe for you. It’s just perfecto!
- Roasted Chickpeas:
- 1 can of chickpeas, drained
- 1 tsp brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika powder
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin powder
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Roasted Garlic Dressing (make 1 cup of dressing)
- 1 whole garlic bulb
- 1 tbsp dijon mustard
- 1 tbsp honey
- 3 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 cup of olive oil
- Chickpea and Avocado Salad:
- Roasted chickpeas
- 1 avocado, diced
- 1 lebanese cucumber, diced
- 200 gr cherry tomatoes, halved
- 100 gr black olives, sliced
- 200 gr baby spinach and rocket leaves
- Preheat oven to 190 degree Celsius. Mix drained chickpeas with all spices in a bowl and toss to coat.
- Place chickpeas on a baking tray and bake for 25 minutes, stirring halfway.
- Peel the outer layer of whole garlic bulb and leave out the final layer that is covering the cloves. Drizzle a tablespoon of olive oil and coat evenly. Wrap garlic with aluminium foil and roast in the same oven for 20 minutes until the outer layer started to brown.
- Peel each clove of garlic from the root and squeeze out the roasted garlic clove out of the skin.
- Place garlic cloves, dijon mustard, honey and lemon juice in a small blender. Pulse to process, keep the motor running while adding olive oil gently until the colour becomes pale and creamy,
- Place all vegetables in a large bowl and add around half cup of the dressing. You can keep the remaining dressing in the fridge and use it for other salad for up to 3 days.