Have you ever bought a big tub of yoghurt and then realising that it’s impossible to finish the tub yourself within 7 days? I have guiltily done this countless of times just because the big tub of yoghurt is so much cheaper than if you buy individual serving of yoghurt in the supermarket. Sometimes I threw it out after only finishing only half of the tub but sometimes I try to incorporate the leftover yoghurt to make something a little bit different, for example these coconut yoghurt and passionfruit tarts here.
I got this idea when I found half a pack of frozen puff pastry in the fridge when I was cleaning it out the other week and I was thinking to make yoghurt tarts because I still have half a tub of coconut yoghurt left. I love this coconut yoghurt from Nudie but as always just couldn’t seem to finish it.
Yoghurt tart was a great idea to begin with however yoghurt was a bit too sour for tarts so it needed something sweet enough to counteract the sourness and balance it out. I went to the market and was thinking about berries or mango to mix them in but then I saw some fresh passionfruits on the shelf and I immediately switched to buying passionfruits instead so I could make sweet passionfruit coulis that can definitely reduce the sourness from the yoghurt.
I’m pretty certain these coconut yoghurt and passionfruit tarts are one of the easiest dessert I have made so far. I just took out the leftover frozen puff pastry from the fridge and blind baked them for a few minutes until golden brown and then I made my passionfruit coulis and mixed it with coconut yoghurt and sugar. To make it look good the remaining passionfruit coulis was added to garnish the tarts.
I suggest to serve them immediately while the tart crust is still warm and crispy but if you want to serve later on you can bake the tart crust first but don’t put the coconut yoghurt into the tart crust too early otherwise the tart would go soggy and it wouldn’t be good.
- 3 sheets of frozen puff pastry
- 2 cups of coconut yoghurt
- 4 passionfruits
- 4 tbsp sugar
- Preheat oven to 210C and grease muffin/tart tin lightly.
- Line each muffin/tart tin with puff pastry covering the base and the sides of the tin. Prick the base of the pastry with fork, place parchment or baking paper on the base and fill with some beans or rice on top of each pastry cup. Bake for 10 minutes or until golden brown.
- Cut passionfruits in half and remove the pulp and juice and place in a saucepan. Add sugar and bring saucepan to a boil and simmer for about 3-5 minutes.
- Mix half of the passionfruits coulis with coconut yoghurt in a separate bowl and spoon coconut yoghurt into the puff pastry case until almost full. Top with the remaining passionfruit coulis and serve immediately.