If you are following my Instagram you would notice that I did a series of pancakes for breakfast this week. After having pancakes for three consecutive breakfasts (Raspberry Compote, Avocado Dukkah, and Bacon Leeks), I wanted to do something different with my leftover pancake batter that I made using Taste‘s recipe.
So I added a teaspoon of cocoa powder to two servings of pancake batter to make these chocolate pancakes, I also added a bit more milk just to keep the texture fluffy.
I have a tub of chocolate ice-cream sitting in the freezer which was perfect for this. I also made a little bit of chocolate sauce to go with it. But I say you won’t have to do what I did. Go crazy with your chocolate pancakes’ toppings. Add salted caramel or whipped cream, nutella or some fresh fruits. The options are endless!
I agree, this dish is probably not going to be your everyday breakfast choice. Leave it for any special occasion, or when you need a little pick-me-up during a bad day. You can have these chocolate pancakes as a dessert too, or if you are craving for chocolatey breakfast. 🙂
- Chocolate pancakes:
- 1 tsp of cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup of self-raising flour
- 2 tbsp of caster sugar
- 1/3 cup of milk
- 10 grams of butter
- 1/4 egg, beaten
- 75 grams of dark chocolate
- 50 grams of thickened cream
- 2 scoops of store-bought chocolate ice-cream
- chocolate flakes, optional
- For the pancakes, sift cocoa powder, flour and sugar in a bowl. Add milk and egg. Whisk until just combined. Heat a non-stick frying pan over medium heat. Brush pan with butter. Spoon half a ladle from the pancake batter and pour onto the pan. Cook pancakes for 2-3 minutes and flip to cook for another 2 minutes. Transfer to a plate and repeat with the remaining pancake batter.
- To make chocolate sauce, melt chocolate in a small saucepan over very low heat. Remove from heat and add thickened cream into the chocolate and stir to combine.
- To serve, place ice-cream on top of pancakes and drizzle generously with chocolate sauce. Add chocolate flakes and your preferred toppings.