I am currently trying a new diet program which requires me to only eat high protein and low carb food – similar to keto diet but not as strict (for more info).
How it works is that this diet will make me full longer and overtime my body will switch to ketogene mode in which it will burn fat instead of carbs and hopefully be able to shed some weight. I’ve been doing this for more than a week now and so far I feel great, I don’t feel hungry all the time and it doesn’t feel like I’m on a strict diet as there are many types of foods to eat other than carbs.
Although I would have to abstain from rice, noodles, pasta, and potatoes for a while, that doesn’t mean that I have to avoid delicious food. I mean, there will always be great substitute that you can use right? Like zucchini noodles instead of traditional pasta noodles, mash cauliflower instead of mash potato, cauliflower rice instead of white rice, or even better – omelette instead of pizza dough.
The idea of using omelette as the substitute only came to me when I was thinking what to have for lunch when I only have eggs and mozzarella cheese in the fridge. When you try to think of what to make with these ingredients you would also think of pizza! Then I went to my local mini supermarket to grab a pack of pepperoni slices and tomatoes and I made my simple lunch in less than 30 minutes.
This omelette pepperoni pizza is my new low-carb favourite for now (until I have another new favourite lol). By using fluffy omelette instead of wheat based pizza dough, I’m consuming high protein and leaving out carbs. The taste is really delicious and flavourful, I think this would make a great breakfast (no more excuse of not having pizza for breakfast hey!) and not to mention I feel full quicker after only finishing half of the pan which is what I intended.
- 3 large eggs, beaten
- 100 gr pizza sauce (or tomato paste mixed with a pinch of garlic powder and oregano)
- 50 gr sliced pepperoni
- 50 gr tomatoes or cherry tomatoes
- 100 gr sliced mozzarella cheese
- 1 tbsp olive oil or butter
- 25 gr shredded parmesan cheese
- basil, for garnish
- Preheat oven to 210 C. Set oven to broiler or grill mode.
- Mix beaten eggs with 4 tbsp of water in a bowl. Add salt and pepper.
- Heat butter or oil in an oven-safe skillet over medium heat and place beaten eggs. Cook the egg until it's half set and spread the pizza sauce evenly over the omelette. Divide pepperoni and tomatoes evenly and top with mozzarella cheese.
- Place skillet in the oven and bake for 10 minutes or until the cheese has melted. Remove from heat and garnish with parmesan cheese and basil.