As I have told you before in the original lasagna post, lasagna is a favourite dinner meal in our household. When winter comes it’s normally a sign for me to go and buy groceries to make lasagna for the week. However I slowly feel that it isn’t really an easy task to make a pan of lasagna as the list of ingredients is too long, each element has to be made separately (meat sauce, bechamel sauce, lasagna sheet) before assembling them together and sometimes it would take a couple of days for us to finish a big pan of lasagna as I currently only live with my partner (and two small dogs).
So I thought of making an easier and simpler lasagna, not much fuss but still delicious. It’s the much smaller version of the normal lasagna – the mini lasagna cups.
Some bloggers have been doing it already and even though I’m a bit late to the party I’m still very excited to share my version of these cute mini lasagna cups. Baked in muffin tins, they are the perfect hand-sized meal that are great for breakfast or lunch on-the-go and they would also be a crowd-pleaser in brunch or picnic gathering.
It requires less ingredients then my original lasagna recipe and I have also made a few things simpler by substituting the bechamel sauce with a mixture of ricotta and mozarella cheese, as well as ditching the lasagna sheets to the thinner dumpling wrappers bought from Asian grocery. Another bonus is that you can also freeze the remaining mini lasagna cups easily if you’ve made too many of them and still want to eat them a few weeks later.
- 1 pack (or about 50 pieces) dumpling/gyoza wrappers
- 300 gr mince beef
- 150 gr mushrooms, diced
- 2 cups marinara sauce
- ½ onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic
- 2 tbsp of olive oil
- 100 gr of grated mozzarella
- 100 gr of ricotta cheese
- basil leaves, to garnish
- Preheat oven to 180C.
- Heat olive oil in a skillet over medium heat and saute onion and garlic until soft. Add mushrooms and mince beef, stir for a minute before adding the marinara sauce. Cook for 10 minutes and keep warm.
- Mix ricotta cheese and grated mozzarella in a bowl. Set aside.
- Line each muffin hole with 4 slices of dumpling wrappers to cover the base and sides. Add a spoonful of meat sauce and a spoonful of cheese mixture. Line another slice of dumpling wrapper and repeat with a spoonful of meat sauce and cheese mixture. Add a basil leave on top of each mini lasagna.
- Bake in the oven for 15-20 minutes or until the cheese on top becomes golden brown.