It really sucks being 4000 miles apart from home and not being able to spend Mother’s day with my mom directly for 8 years in a row. I normally just text or call her every Mother’s day just to thank her for being the best mom for all of four of us siblings. It’s certainly not easy trying to be there for all her children and still coping with her full time work. But she’s done it for 20+ years and all of us certainly wouldn’t be who we are without her.
Even though this year it still sucks not being able to tell her in person how amazing she is, the least I can do is to write a post dedicated to her.
It’s almost a norm to make breakfast for every mom on Mother’s day. So I thought of something that would be the best breakfast she’s ever eaten from me if she is here today.
She loves chicken liver pate so much, and pastry.
At first I wanted to try making a Vietnamese Banh Mi but it didn’t really scream breakfast. Then I thought about making stuffed croissants with pate. I decided to make Mushrooms and Chicken Liver Pate Croissant.
So I bought some croissants from my favourite local pastry shop Agathe Patisserie in South Melbourne Market. I love the croissants here especially when they’re freshly baked. I thought of making chicken liver pate myself but then I couldn’t find chicken liver! There were plenty of choices for good chicken liver pate instead so I gave up and bought the pate at the end.
The mushrooms went very well with pate and I also added bacon and parsley crumb for added texture.
On the bright side I am actually planning to go to Europe in three months with mom and two of my sisters! And we will go to Paris as well, where croissants and pate originated. I swear I will make this again for you mom, just three months later.
Happy mother’s day anyway! Hope you are always happy wherever you are.
Love, your first daughter.
- 2 croissants
- 2 tbsp. of chicken liver pate
- 300 grams of swiss brown or button mushrooms, sliced
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp. of butter
- ¼ strip of middle bacon, minced finely
- 1 tbsp. of bread crumb
- 1 tbsp. of parsley, minced finely
- Heat butter on a frying pan over medium heat and cook garlic until soft. Add mushrooms and sauté for 2 minutes until mushrooms are coated with butter and garlic. Turn the heat to low and cover with a lid to let the mushrooms cooked slowly for 8 minutes or until the colour turned dark. Season to taste and keep warm.
- Saute bacon on a frying pan until they are golden and crispy. Add breadcrumbs and saute for another 1 minute or until crumbs are golden and toasted. Remove from heat and mix with parsley. Set aside.
- Heat croissants in the oven until warm. Carefully slice into half lengthwise and spread pate generously in the middle of croissants. Add mushrooms and scatter with bacon crumb. Serve immediately.