Delicious and healthy Teriyaki Chicken Bowl – Grilled chicken breast marinated with homemade umami teriyaki sauce. Quick and simple to make but unquestionably tasty.
For a busy person like myself who has a demanding full-time job, simple meals done in less than an hour are mostly my go-to meal on weekdays night. Sometimes when I don’t feel like cooking and cleaning the dishes we do some takeaways or delivery via Foodora or Ubereats, while we’ve been liking it so far we also notice that there aren’t a lot of healthy meals offered around dinner times.
I don’t mind eating burgers or pizza or Chinese takeaways in moderation, probably like twice a week but not every night, especially since my big day (read:wedding) is coming up in a few months! Not to mention we have to pay additional delivery charges plus tips that can add up if we do it quite often. So the solution is still to cook simple meals as often as I can with whatever ingredients that I have in the fridge.
Teriyaki chicken bowl with soft rice and vegetables would be one of the examples. There’s not a lot of ingredients involved. I always store some chicken pieces in the freezer and there’s always uncooked rice in the pantry. I can use any vegetable I can find like broccoli, salad leaves, corns, or mushrooms. It’s one of my go-to dishes for weeknight’s dinner because it’s simple, easy and quick to make. I can’t believe I have never included this in the blog yet.
Teriyaki sauce is basically just a mix of three ingredients: soy sauce, mirin, and sugar. That’s how you make the basic teriyaki sauce. You can add more ingredients like sake, garlic and ginger to elevate the flavour or cornstarch to thicken it. However you like it, it will be delicious!
Then just marinate the chicken with teriyaki sauce for a few minutes while you preheat the grill pan. An important tip when you grill the teriyaki chicken is when you add the chicken onto the pan, make sure the heat isn’t too hot otherwise the sugar from teriyaki sauce that sticks to the chicken will burn quickly on the pan. You’ll get burnt chicken on the outside but is still raw inside. You don’t want that. Just use medium heat until the chicken is halfway cooked and then add the remaining teriyaki sauce one spoonful at a time to glaze the chicken until it’s cooked and sauce is thicken.
I love adding soft-boiled eggs in all my rice bowls. Just makes this teriyaki chicken bowl even more appetizing and it becomes a complete meal. The one that I used in the picture is Japanese soft-boiled eggs (ajitsuke tamago) that are normally used in ramen. It’s really tasty.
Rice. Chicken. Soft-Boiled Egg. Veggie. Teriyaki sauce. It’s perfect!
- 2 large skinless chicken breast, sliced into 1cm pieces
- Teriyaki Sauce:
- 3 tbsp soy sauce
- 3 tbsp mirin
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- Side Vegetables that are used in the pictures:
- corn kernels
- edamame beans
- rocket leaves
- dried seaweed
- sesame seeds
- Japanese soft-boiled egg [b][url href=”http://www.foodiestory.com/ramen-egg/” target=”_blank”](ajitsuke tamago)[/url][/b]
- Mix teriyaki sauce in a large bowl and add chicken breast into the bowl to marinate for 10 minutes. Marinate for less time if you’re pressed on time.
- Grease and preheat grill pan over medium heat. Place chicken breast and grill for 3 minutes. Flip to the other side and cook for another 2 minutes. Then spoon the remaining teriyaki sauce onto the chicken gradually until the chicken is cook. Depending on the size, it should take about a further of 3-4 minutes.
- Add your preferred side vegetables and egg on a bed of rice and place chicken breast on top. Garnish with sesame seeds and dried seaweed.